The documented history of the Kingsview Village area dates back to the 1850's. The first settler in this area was Thomas Madill who owned a farm on the north side of Dixon Road that stretched from Islington Avenue over to Kipling Avenue. The Madill farmhouse was a storey and a half dwelling constructed of fieldstone. This house stood on Islington Avenue. It was demolished in 1973 and with it went the last trace of the pre-subdivision history of this neighbourhood.
The present day Kingsview Village neighbourhood was developed during the late 1950's and the early 1960's. The small brick entrance pillars for the Kingsview Village subdivision can be seen on the west side of Islington Avenue at Kingsview, St. Andrews and St. Georges Boulevards. The letter "K" is inscribed on the face of one of these pillars and the letter "V" is inscribed on the other two pillars. These inscriptions stand for Kings-View-Village.
Kingsview Village is a strong, family oriented neighbourhood with an active ratepayers association and its own community school and recreational facility. There is also a community church and a park conveniently located in the centre of this neighbourhood off Kingsview Boulevard.
The single family houses in the interior of this neighbourhood are occupied by a diverse mix of people from a variety of backgrounds and incomes. The high-rise apartment buildings along Dixon Road are home to a very large Somalian population which has established a solid community in this neighbourhood.
Kingsview Village contains a mix of ranch and contemporary style bungalows, split-level houses, storey-and-a-half homes, and newer two-storey homes. These houses feature front porches with elaborate accents including fanciful stair railings and arched entranceways. All these houses are situated on suburban size lots and include a garage or car-port. The properties are well maintained and professionally landscaped with the occasional ornamental statue decorating the front lawn.
The residential pocket east of Islington Avenue in the Fairhaven Drive-Golfwood Heights area was formerly part of the Weston Golf and Country Club Grounds. The golf club sold this land to developers in the 1950's and 1960's at which time most of these houses were built. The houses in this part of the neighbourhood include some charming Colonial Revival style homes as well as an assortment of bungalows and modern two-storey houses. Many of these houses are located on premium lots that either face or back onto the Weston Golf Course.
Kingsview Village also contains a cluster of high-rise apartment buildings on Dixon Road and more high-rise buildings and townhouses on Islington Avenue.
The basic household needs of Kingsview Village residents are well served by the Westway Centre, located at the south-east corner of Dixon Road and Kipling Avenue. This small shopping plaza includes a large supermarket, a bakery and deli. a video store, a drug store, a McDonalds restaurant, a dollar store, a beer store, a hardware store, a jewellery store, professional and medical offices and a bowling alley and billiards hall. There is also a small but very busy Somalian Meat and Grocery store tucked away at the back of this plaza.
The Loblaws superstore located at the south-east corner of Dixon Road and Islington Avenue includes a bakery and deli, a photo finishing shop, a dry cleaners, and a take-out restaurant.
The Kingsview Village Community School located at 1 York Road off Kingsview Boulevard offers a variety of services and programs for the entire family. Some of these programs include Aerobics, Tae Kwon Do and Yoga. This facility also provides room rentals, community meeting space, special events, field trips and camps. Kingsview Park located across from the community school off Kingview Boulevard, includes tennis courts, bocce ball, and a children's playground.
Fairhaven Park, located east of Islington Avenue off Fairhaven Drive is a pretty park that contains a baseball diamond, a sports field, an outdoor swimming pool, and a children's playground. The Weston Golf and Country Club property is adjacent to this park.
Call Anna Tulman at 416.909.2662 today!
Anna speaks English, Hebrew, and Russian.